Bicycling has seen a resurgence of popularity all over the United States, and Minnesota’s idyllic scenery makes the state no exception to this trend. Whether a person is riding a bike out of economic concerns to avoid spending money on gas or simple personal physical fitness goals, bicyclists are susceptible to serious injuries when they are involved in accidents with motor vehicles.
In many cases, bicycle crashes are the result of a driver’s negligence. In such cases, it can be extremely challenging for victims to obtain the compensation they need for medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Were you severely injured or was your loved one killed in a bicycle accident in Minnesota? You will want to contact JD Haas & Associates as soon as possible. Call (952) 345-1025 today.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
All bicycle crashes are different, but some kinds of accidents are particularly common. Some of the most frequent types of accidents include:
- Intersection Collisions — Cross-streets are exceptionally common locations for crashes, and motorists are often at fault for such accidents because the drivers typically have failed to stop for bicyclists passing at intersections. Bicyclists in Minnesota enjoy all the rights of drivers on the road, but some motorists either fail to notice or disregard oncoming bicyclists.
- Left-Turn Accidents — Drivers who turn left in front of oncoming bicycles leave the bicyclists powerless to avoid collisions. Bikers not only strike motor vehicles at high speeds, but they are often thrown several feet from their bikes, further worsening already serious injuries.
- Right-Turn Accidents — Unlike left-turn accidents in which motor vehicles and bicycles are traveling in opposite directions, a right-turn accident usually involved both parties going in the same direction. When a motor vehicle turns right in front of a bicyclist traveling the same direction, the bike can be struck and possibly crushed by the automobile. Victims often suffer catastrophic injuries.
- Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) Accidents — Motorists who operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs are much more likely to cause crashes. When a person who causes this type of accident is convicted of drunk or drugged driving, the conviction can be used to prove negligence. In such cases, victims could be entitled to punitive damages.
- Other Violations of Traffic Laws — Drivers could be at fault for other possible infractions, such as speeding or reckless driving. Failure to yield is also especially prevalent in bicycle accidents.
Find a Bicycle Crash Attorney in Minnesota
If you sustained severe injuries or your loved one was killed in a bicycle accident anywhere in Minnesota, it is in your best interest to quickly seek legal representation. JD Haas & Associates represents victims and the families of victims in communities all over the greater Bloomington area.
Our firm can negotiate with the negligent driver’s insurance company to help you obtain a fair and full settlement that covers all of your past, present, and future needs. If the insurer is unwilling to provide adequate compensation, we are not afraid to file a lawsuit.
Call (952) 345-1025 or contact us online today to have our firm review your case and answer all of your legal questions during a free consultation. We are available to set appointments for weekends and evenings.