Top ten lists and how to books are popular reading. With a simple keystroke you can find valuable information on nearly every topic from how to fix a leaky faucet, to what parts are needed to repair your car. The problem with these lists, though is that after a while, nearly everyone seems to be an “expert”, and offers advice based on something they read or heard from a friend. Following this type of advice when you’ve been in a serious accident can have serious consequences. Knowing what is accurate and what is simply urban legend will help you to make informed decisions and reach satisfactory results in your case.
The top five myths about car wrecks shed some light on what information to avoid when seeking compensation for your injuries:
- The laws are the same across the country. This is simply not true and it takes the specialized knowledge and skill of a local professional to make sure your case is handled properly.
- Pain and suffering is an automatic part of your recovery. This is also a myth, the truth is the specific circumstances of your case and the laws of the jurisdiction where the accident happened dictate whether you are entitled to damages for pain and suffering.
- If you are severely injured you will receive a windfall. Again, not a truth about car wrecks. The compensation you receive will make you whole again, and put you in the same position you were in prior to the accident, not a better position.
- Playing hardball will get you more money. Doing this can actually have the opposite effect. The longer you hold out, the less likely the insurance company may become to offer a reasonable settlement.
- Any lawyer will do. This is perhaps the most serious mistake to make. It is critical to use an attorney with experience in the law and a proven track record for success.
You should also use a personal injury attorney that gives your case individualized attention, rather than run it through their office assembly line style. We know every matter is different, and that is how we treat all of our cases. Call our office today for an in depth analysis of your case.
If you’ve been hurt in an accident, let an experienced attorney help recover a full and fair compensation for all of your injuries. Call a Bloomington, Minnesota personal injury attorney today.