Knowing what to expect when you have been in an accident helps to ease your anxiety and will put you in a position to make wise choices about your case. The different stages of a personal injury case involve different things, and you will want to know what is expected of you each step of the way. Initially, your responsibility is to get medical care and to attend any therapy the doctor suggests. This should be done immediately after the accident, and once you have seen a physician to learn the extent of your injuries it is critical to contact a personal injury attorney to learn the next steps.
While you have six years after the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, that does not mean your case will take six years to resolve. The different stages of a personal injury case include:
- Making a claim with the negligent party’s insurance carrier.
- Answering questions from the attorney or insurance adjuster about the accident and your injuries. This usually involves responding to written discovery sent to you during the pendency of a lawsuit, or giving a recorded statement to the adjuster assigned to the case. Regardless of the method by which you are asked to provide your version of events, it is unwise to do without first speaking with an attorney and being prepared.
- Negotiation of your claim, which can happen during the lawsuit or before one is filed. If negotiations do not yield satisfactory offers prior to a lawsuit being filed, you are well within your rights to file a case and seek compensation that fits the facts of your case.
- Settlement, which can occur before a lawsuit is filed, but can also take place on the eve of trial.
- Trial, either to a Judge or the jury. A trial results in a verdict as to liability and also as to the amount of damages to be awarded an injured person.
These steps can be confusing, but with the right personal injury attorney by your side you can proceed with confidence. We give you individualized attention and make sure you are prepared at every phase of your case. We take the time to answer your questions and make sure you understand your options.
If you have been an accident, call our office for answers to all of your questions. We have experience helping people recover for injuries suffered in all sorts of accident. Call a Bloomington, Minnesota personal injury attorney and schedule an appointment today.