The old saying “there is no such thing as a free lunch” might apply to situations like deciding which options to include when buying a car, or when booking a vacation that advertises “kids eat free”. In those instances there is usually an inflated price to be paid in order to receive the “free” offer. Generally speaking, if something sounds too good to be true it is a good idea to proceed with caution. We all work hard for our wages, so it is important to take steps to safeguard our money and save for the future. But one time is not a good idea to cut back on expenses is if you have been the victim of an accident and need help from a legal professional. Most attorneys offer an initial visit at no charge, and it is important to take advantage of this benefit.
A free consultation is an appointment where you have the opportunity to meet an attorney and tell them about your case. There is no charge for this meeting, and when it is over if you are satisfied with the information you have gathered, you can enter into an attorney client agreement for representation. In personal injury cases like car wrecks, you can expect to discuss the following things at an initial free consultation:
- The date of the accident, and where it happened.
- Whether you were the driver or a passenger, and who else was in the car at the time of the wreck.
- Whether you went to the hospital right after the collision, how you got there, and what type of treatment you received. It will also be important to talk about your future medical needs and what types of injuries you suffered.
- Whether there were any witnesses to the accident, and their names and contact information.
- What you believed caused the accident, and any facts that support your version of events.
- Your expectations for recovery and settlement of the matter.
After you have given all of the relevant information about the case to a skilled attorney at an initial meeting, you can expect to receive answers to your questions and learn how what type of approach the attorney would plan to take on your behalf. This meeting is a good time to offer your opinions, and to gain a clear understanding of possible outcomes and what it will take to get to a result that meets your needs. If you are satisfied with the data you gather at an initial consultation, it is a good idea to allow that attorney to handle your case. This is done by signing an attorney client agreement, which gives the attorney the authority to negotiate on your behalf, while keeping you advised of any significant development in the case. If you have been in an accident, call us today to find out what to do next.
If you have been in a car wreck or other accident, call our office to schedule an appointment today. Let an experienced attorney help you figure what is best for you. Call a Bloomington, Minnesota personal injury attorney today.